- Ganondorf does very poorly against Toon Link due to his large hurtbox and poor mobility. However, a skilled Ganondorf player will make the most of Ganondorf's tools to overcome these weaknesses. If the Ganondorf player gets an opening, they will be able to deal big damage. Ganondorf also has high kill power, and Toon Link is a light character. Therefore, the Ganondorf player's job is to take every opportunity to get an opening, and the Toon Link player's job is to minimize the Ganondorf's opportunities.
Before we discuss what to do in the matchup, let's discuss what not to do. There are two playstyles that will result in you losing.
1: Hyper aggressive: It is easy to think you can steamroll a Ganondorf by mashing your superior frame data all over them. Recklessly mashing will only result in very easy whiff punishments for the Ganondorf. Remember, your goal is to minimize opportunities, and the only way Ganondorf gets opportunities is when he is close to you. Don't be reckless, keep your distance, respect his mid range options.
2: Afraid: With Ganondorf's high damage and kill power, you might think it is a good idea to stay as far away as possible from him. However, projectile camping and running away will minimize the chances you get to kill Ganondorf. This will result in you having a hard time killing Ganondorf. Ganondorf on the other hand will have an easier time killing you with the few opportunities they get. If you see a chance to whiff punish or pick up on a habit, don't be afraid to take it.
Being too aggressive will result in the Ganondorf having opportunities. Being too passive will result in the Ganondorf never dying. So what do you do?
Basically, you want to safely poke at Ganondorf from mid range. Once you hit him with a landing aerial, tilt, or a strong projectile, you will have a chance to combo.
Low percents: Utilt can combo into Ftilt->Dash attack, or another Utilt. Going for Ftilt->DA is usually better, since that will also set up a juggle.
Bomb can combo into Up Smash or an aerial attack. Up Smash is usually best.
Close hit of Boomerang combos into a bomb or aerial.
Mid range boomerang might combo into a Bomb or rising Zair. You can't be punished if you whiff either though
At high percents, Bombs can combo into one of three moves. Uair, Fair, and Up Special. If you hit a bomb while directly next to your opponent, it will send them behind you. Uair is best in this situation. Fair will kill the earliest in all other situations. Up B should be used if you can not reach with Uair or Fair
- FLUDD Situation: The FLUDD situation is rare, but still something to be aware of. Basically, if Mario uses FLUDD to push Toon Link off stage while Toon Link is using his grounded Up Special, Toon Link will transition into his aerial Up Special. This will put Toon Link in freefall, and most likely lead to a lost stock.
• Controls • FAQ •
• Movement • Offense • Defense •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Knockback • Frame Data Explanations • States of Play • Universal Strategy • Esoterica •
• Patch Notes • Tier Lists • Alternate Resources • Discords •