Throughout Sora's meta development, a lot has changed in terms of the characters thatprey on his weaknesses and those that are weak to Sora's strengths. At the initial time of his release, Sephiroth and Samus were believed to be his worst matchups, yet now there are players that consider them even or possibly winning.
To gain proper context on why certain characters are believed to be Sora's worst matchups and good matchups, it is important to understand where Sora is strong and weak. Generally, characters want to capitalize on Sora's poor speed attributes while avoiding his frequent combo starters. A character like Sephiroth fits this category perfectly. On the flipside, Sephiroth does struggle when Sora is able to get in and pressure up-close. In a sense, the matchup is all about if Sora can manage to approach Sephiroth, or force Sephiroth to come to Sora. This is just one example of the many dynamics within the matchup.
Player Matchup Charts
While bias is unavoidable, there is a general trend in all of these matchup charts. What's very important to consider is understanding that every one of these players come from different regions, where different metas apply, as well as how it has helped them shape the understanding of the game. Understanding all of these nuances for every region is borderline impossible since what is learned locally isn't easily shared. Skills that have been learned that have become intuition is not something that is easily explained unless one is very adept at explaining these concepts, and understanding every internal process is something that the field of psychology is still working on. This warrants academic texts in their own right, and won't be covered in detail here.
Either way, matchup charts from different regions are great because they can help give perspective on what could be lacking in a players knowledge for a matchup to be losing / winning / even. In the current metagame, Kameme reigns as the supreme Sora player, and as a result his opinions on matchups can hold more weight. This is not to say that every other chart is useless. It is very tempting to say that Japan is the best region and going by any other opinion is not correct, but a lot of top players are not from Japan.
Kameme lost to Lights Fox at Glitch Regen. Whether or not Kameme lacked enough experience is difficult to answer, but a loss against a top player in a high stakes tournament shouldn't stain the character matchup unless this becomes the norm. Issues surrounding objective matchup favorability will become less prevalent as the game ages. Sora is the newest character, and he is still on his way to get more results after being in the lab.
There are advantages with labeling a character as "a hard loss". While some players will give up, others will look for counterplay. There is even counterplay for existing hard matchups, that players have not been able to consistently implement just yet.
An introduction to these players can be found in the Resource page.
- Sora Discord Community Matchup Chart as of 7/14/23
- Kameme's Matchup Chart as of 4/19/23
- Sora Discord Community Matchup Chart as of 12/19/22
- Kameme's Matchup Chart as of 6/20/22
- DTP's Matchup Chart as of 6/9/23
In addition, here is a Megathread on Sora Matchups created by DTP: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-BQ0mXoKrgqdjTpVGKWh18F8zK6Usq3wFm2BdnemIDo/edit#heading=h.hpkkwlwnhege
- DTP's Matchup Chart as of 4/2/23
- DTP's Matchup Chart as of 2/23/23
- Nakat's Matchup Chart as of 4/8/23
- Nakat's Matchup Chart as of 1/30/22
- Komorikiri's Matchup Chart as of 6/1/22
Descriptive matchups per character
- The core weakness for Bowser is his predictable recovery trajectories when recovering from afar. Sora can exploit this with either his aerials, f-tilt or counter.
- Sora has more combos on Bowser specifically due to his attributes and escape options.
- Thundaga is very effective vs Bowser, mainly due to allowing Sora to rotate his spells easier due to Bowser's hurtbox.
• Controls • FAQ •
• Movement • Offense • Defense •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Knockback • Frame Data Explanations • States of Play • Universal Strategy • Esoterica •
• Patch Notes • Tier Lists • Alternate Resources • Discords •